Internet shopping offers many benefits to consumers. These include opportunities to save time and money, greater choice, the convenience of shopping when you like and having goods delivered, and a powerful ability to find and compare information, products and prices.
Many people have been put off shopping online by media's often exaggerated reporting of the e-retail industry's teething troubles. But Internet shopping is now at least as safe as shopping in a store or by phone, so there is no need for anyone to miss out on the benefits it can provide.
Today, Amazon.com is the place to find and discover anything you want to buy online. We're very proud that millions of people in more than 220 countries have made us the leading online shopping site. We have Earth's Biggest SelectionTM of products, including free electronic greeting cards, online auctions, and millions of books, CDs, videos, DVDs, toys and games, electronics, kitchenware, computers and more.
Along with our extensive catalog of products, we offer a wide variety of other shopping services and partnership opportunities. When you visit Amazon.com, you can:
" Search for books, music, videos, and more--in a snap. All you need to know is one word related to the product you're looking for. Can't remember an artist's name? We can even show you all CDs featuring a certain song title!
" Browse our virtual aisles in hundreds of product categories--everything from audiobooks, jazz, and video documentaries to coins and stamps up for auction. Want a shortcut? On our Essentials lists, our expert editors will steer you to the best new and classic products in all our stores.
" Get instant personalized recommendations based on your prior purchases the moment you log on.
" Explore the world and hundreds of thousands of additional items on our international sites: Amazon.ca, Amazon.de, Amazon.co.jp, Amazon.co.uk, and Amazon.fr.
" Become an Amazon.com Associate and earn money by selling books, CDs, DVDs, videos, and many other products on your Web site.
We want to provide the best shopping experience, so we stand behind our service with the Amazon.com Safe Shopping Guarantee and the Amazon.com Auctions Guarantee. And if you ever have a question, you can visit our Help Desk or contact our 24-hour customer service department
Internet shopping is safe for consumers who use their common sense and follow simple industry guidelines
Know who you're dealing with: get the seller's phone number and postal address
Be aware of terms and conditions: check payment and delivery details
Keep records of what you order
EU Law protects you against fraudulent use of your payment card in EU transactions: credit cards give you extra protection
Only give your payment card details over a secure connection, and never by email: never disclose your PIN number to anyone, and never send it over the internet
You usually have at least 7 days to cancel an order andrequest a refund from an EU retailer
Check your payment card statement carefully: you have at least 90 days to report a suspect transaction
SHOPPING TIP LIST
Here's a list of tips you should consult when shopping online. Print this page and keep it in a handy place so it will be easy to review before you order.
1. Trust your instincts. If you don't feel comfortable buying or bidding on an item over the web, or if you feel pressured to place your order immediately, maybe you shouldn't.
2. Be knowledgeable about web-based auctions. Take special care to familiarize yourself not only with the rules and policies of the auction site itself but with the legal terms (warranties, refund policy, etc.) of the seller's items that you wish to bid on.
3. Double check pricing. Whether the product is being sold as new or used, be suspicious of prices that are too good to be true. Also consider carefully whether you may be paying too much for an item, particularly if you're bidding through an auction site. You may want to comparison shop, online or offline, before you buy.
5. Review the return, refund, and shipping and handling policies as well as the other legal terms. If you can't find them, ask the seller through an e-mail or telephone call to indicate where they are on the site or to provide them to you in writing. See Legal Terms.
6. Check that the Internet connections are secure. Before you give your payment information, there are various icons and software programs that indicate that security software is in place. See Security.
7. Use the safest way to pay on the Internet. Pay for your order using a credit card. See Payment.
8. Print the terms. You should print out and date a copy of terms, conditions, warranties, item description, company information, even confirming e-mails, and save them with your records of your purchase. See Recordkeeping.
9. Insure the safe delivery of your item. If you're concerned about the safety of your package if there's no one home to receive it, ask whether you can specify that the shipper must receive a signature before leaving the package. Or, it may be safer to have the package delivered to your office. See Delivery.
10. Inspect your purchase. Look at your purchase carefully as soon as you receive it. Contact the seller as soon as possible if you discover a problem with it. Tell the seller in writing about any problem that you are concerned with, ask for a repair or refund, and keep a copy of your correspondence. See Legal Terms.