Walt Disney transformed the entertainment industry into what we know today. He pioneered in the fields of animation and found new ways to teach and educate. His views and visions came from the memory of the past and the persistence for this future. Walt was our bridge from past to the future.
Walter Elias Disney established himself and his innovations as a genuine part of Americana.
He could take the dreams of America and make them come true.
Walter Elias Disney was born on December 5, 1901 in Chicago, Illinois. Walt was one of five children. He attended McKinley High School in Chicago. There Disney divided his attention between drawing and photography. At night he attended the Academy of Fine Arts to better his drawing abilities.
Walter discovered his first movie house on Marceline's Main Street. There he saw a dramatic black-and-white recreation of the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ.
During the fall of 1918, Disney attempted to enlist for military service. He joined the Red Cross and was sent overseas to France.
When he returned from France, he wanted to pursue a career in commercial art. He began producing short animated films for local businesses in Kansas City. By the time Walt had started to create "The Alice Comedies". Walt's enthusiasm and faith in himself and other took him straight to the top of Hollywood society.
Walt wasn't' a typical Hollywood mogul. The people that were close to Walt were those who lived with him and his ideas.
On July 13, 1925, Walt married one of his employees, Lillian Bounds. They had 2 daughters.
Three years after Walt and Lilly wed, Walt created a new animated character, Mickey Mouse. His talents were first used in a silent cartoon entitled "Planet Crazy". Mickey Mouse made his screen debut in "Steamboat 'Willie'", the word's first synchronized sound cartoon, which premiered in New York on November 18, 1928. In 1932 "Flowers and Trees" won Walt the first of his studio's Academy Awards. In 1937, he released "The Old Mill".
On December 21, 1937, "Snow White and Seven Dwarfs", premiered in Los Angeles it produced at the unheard cost of $ 1,499, 000 during the depth of the Depression. Walt Disney Studios completed other full-length animated classics such as "Pinocchio", "Fantasia", "Dumbo" and "Bambi".
In 1940 Disney's staff swelled to more than 1,000 artists, animators, story men and technicians. Because of World War II, 94percent of the Disney studio was engaged in production of training and propaganda films for the armed services.
Through such films as "The Living Desert", "The Vanishing Prairie", "The African Lion" and "White Wilderness" Disney brought fascinating insight into the world of wind animals.
Walt Disney's dream of a clean and organized amusement park came true as Disneyland Park opened in 1955.
And here is a famous quotation from Walt Disney: "Why do we have to grow up? I know more adults who have the children's approach to life. You see them at Disneyland every time you go there. They are not afraid to be delighted with simple pleasures,and they have a degree of contentment with what life has brought - sometimes it isn't mush, either".
1. Walt was one of five children, four boys and a girl. 1. Волт був одним з п'яти дітей, 4 хлопчиків і дівчинки.
2. At night he attended the Academy of Fine Arts to better his drawing abilities. 2. Ввечері він відвідував Академію Мистецтв, щоб покращити свої здібності з малювання.
3. After the Disney family had moved to Kansas City, Walt continued to develop his talent for artistic drawing. 3. Після того, як сім'я Дісней переїхала до Канзасу, Волт продовжував розвивати свій талант художнього малювання.
4. Walt wasn't a typical Hollywood mogul. 4. Волт не був типовим голлівудським магнатом.
5. The people that were close to Walt were those who lived with him and his ideas. 5. Люди, які були поряд з Волтом були ті, що жили з ним та його ідеями.
6. Three years after Walt and Lilly wed, Walt creates a new animated character, Mickey Mouse. 6. 3 роки після одруження Волт і Лілі, Волт створив нового героя, Міккі Мауса.
7. Walt Disney held the patent for Technicolor for two years, allowing him to make the only color cartoons. 7. Волт Дісней мав патент з системою кольорового кіно на 2 роки, що дозволяв йому створювати лиш кольорові карикатури.
8. - Inall, more than 100 features were produced by his studio. 8. Взагалі більш, ніж 100 фільмів було створено його студією.
9. Walt Disney's dream of clean and organized amusement park came true as Disneyland Park opened in 1955. 9. Мрія Волта Діснея про чистий і організований парк розваг збулась, коли відкрили Парк Діснейленд у 1955.
10. Try to imagine a world without Walt Disney. 10. Спробуйте уявити світ без Волта Діснея.
1. whimsy - n - an imagination or fantasy. My sister has a great whimsy.
2. doodle - vt - to draw or to paint somebody or something e.g. instead of doing her homework Olga doodled pictures of animals.
3. enlist - vt - to become a military man; to serve one's time in army. e.g. Every boy enlist for military service.
4. track - n - railway rut e.g. Be careful crossing the railway track!
5. chauffeur - n - a driver e.g. All rich men have their own chauffeur.
6. flop - n - failure in some plans, in business e.g. He had a fear of flop on this exam.
7. spellbound - to be charmed by something or somebody. e.g. She hold listeners spellbound as she described her trip to Egypt.
8. dwarf - n - an adult person which is not very tall (especially we can see them in cartoons). Not so long ago I saw a film about angry and cruel dwarf.
9. featurette - n - a short feature film. e.g. If you don't have a lot of money, you can create the featurette.
10. inquisitive - a - person who is interested in something. e.g. Mary has inquisitive mind and keen sense for education.
11. from stem to stern - from the beginning the full length to the and; the whole thing; e.g. His car was made dirty from stem to stern.
12. entertain - vt - to make fun. e.g. If I have a bad mood, my friends try to entertain me.